The Houston Cougars tallied two impressive wins against Tennessee and Arkansas to open play at the Houston College Classic but surrendered 10 runs on 15 hits Sunday afternoon to fall to Texas Tech, 10-4. College Baseball Daily caught up with head coach Todd Whitting to gauge his reaction on the weekend.
HOUSTON – Michael Ratterree took a 2-2 pitch and drove it over the left field wall for a three-run home run in the first and fifth-ranked Rice never looked back as the Owls knocked off Texas Tech, 6-2, Saturday night at Minute Maid Park.
With the win, Rice (10-1) is off to their best start since the 2003 national championship season in which the Owls began the year with a 33-1 record. Continue reading
Baylor vs. Oral Roberts (Postponed)
- Doubleheader scheduled for tomorrow, starting at 12:05 PM.
Kansas 3 Bowling Green 1 (Game 1)
- Kansas took the lead in the seventh on a two-run single from LF Tucker Tharp.
- SS Kevin Kuntz led the Jayhawks with two hits. Kansas had six hits total.
- Freshman LHP Wes Benjamin picked up the win in his first career start, going seven innings and allowing only one run on five hits. Benjamin walked one and struck out three.
- Tanner Poppe picked up his first save of the season, allowing a hit and striking out a batter in the ninth. Continue reading
- Baylor scored a pair in the 8th off a Josh Ludy RBI single and Michael Howard RBI walk.
- Baylor’s 1-4 hitters were 6-12, with four walks, three runs, and two RBI. The remaining hitters were 0-16 with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- 1B Max Muncy was 2-2 with two walks and a run.
- RHP Josh Turley only last 4.2 innings, but he only gave up five hits and allowed a pair of unearned runs. Trent Blank was excellent in relief, picking up the victory with 3.1 innings of work, allowing one hit and a pair of walks. Dillon Newman picked up the save with a perfect ninth. Continue reading
Opening weekend is upon us once again. Here is a preview of the Big 12, including pitching probables and a few players to look out for on each team. Continue reading
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
Texas A&M has been unanimously selected as the preseason favorite to win the 2012 Big 12 baseball regular season title. In a vote by the league’s head coaches, the Aggies earned eight first place votes, totaling 64 points. In 2011, TAMU made its fifth College World Series appearance, claimed its second-straight Big 12 postseason crown and earned a share of the regular season title. The Aggies are ranked in the top 10 of all four preseason national polls entering the 2012 campaign. Continue reading
College Baseball Daily has put together with our large staff of College Baseball writers our first annual All-American Team. You can check out the full team below. Continue reading
Miami (FL) Alumni Game
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami baseball team hosted its 2012 Fanfest and Alumni Game on Saturday night at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park.
World Series champion outfielder Jon Jay, Minnesota Twins third baseman Danny Valencia, Oakland Athletics infielder Jemile Weeks and Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez were among the star-studded ProCanes alumni group in attendance. Continue reading
In 2012, the Big 12 will be without a former power, while saying farewell to a pair of teams and preparing to welcome another. With Nebraska officially gone to the Big Ten, the conference will take on a new shape with only nine members. Conference favorite, Texas A&M, is preparing to compete in their final Big 12 season before jumping ship to the powerful SEC with Missouri in tow. With all the departures, the conference decided to extend an invitation to recent powerhouse TCU, increasing the competition level. Continue reading