Here are some highlights from May 31st which is the first day of play in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. I will update this page throughout the day with notes on games that have completed. As always, for the most up to date information follow us on Twitter @CB_Daily. You can check out our 2013 NCAA Regional Central Page with links to each regional by clicking here.
- Troy got a Trae Santos three run homer in a five run fifth inning to defeat the Alabama Crimson Tide 5-2. It was an opposite field shot from the big lefty hitter that reminds me of David Ortiz.
- Liberty’s Josh Richardson tossed a complete game as the Flames defeated Clemson 8-3 to move on to the Winner’s Bracket Leading the offense for the Flames was catcher Trey Wimmer had a career day with two homers and six RBI.
- William and Mary defeated Ole Miss 4-2 in the Raleigh Regional as the Tribe picked up their first NCAA Baseball victory in school history. Michael Katz and Jonathan Sarty both had two hits to lead the offense.
- Indiana second baseman Chris Clark attoned for a ninth inning error by hitting a two run walkoff homer to cap off a four run ninth inning for the Hoosiers as they defeated Valpo 5-4.
- It was a great day for any team connected to Bryant University. First of all, the Bryant Bulldogs pulled off the biggest upset on the day defeating Arkansas 4-1 behind some strong pitching and some clutch hitting in the eighth inning to knock off the preseason number 1 team in the nation. The second connection to Bryant is former head coach Jamie Pinzino who is now coaching at William and Mary. The Tribe picked up a shocking 4-2 win over the Ole Miss Rebels.
- In a game that wouldn’t really be considered an upset, Austin Peay’s Michael Davis hit an eighth inning three run homer to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 4-3 lead against perennial power Florida which helped propel the Governors to the win by the same score.
Check out all our NCAA Regional Central by clicking here.