Player: Kyle Schwarber
Indiana University sophomore Kyle Schwarber is off to a phenomenal start of the 2013 season, putting up numbers that would impress even the toughest of critics. However Schwarber also brings a lot more to the plate than just great statistics… Here’s a quick look at why you should keep your eyes peeled for Kyle Schwarber:
He’s extremely consistent
- As a freshman in 2012 Schwarber also had a fantastic season as he batted .300 and was named a Freshman All-American
- His numbers in 2013 have only increased on those of 2013 as he’s currently hitting .408 (as of 4/23) with an on base percentage of .483
- Schwarber currently leads the team in batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, home runs and total bases
He has solid power even in the dead bat era
- During his freshman season Schwarber finished the year with eight home runs, five triples and 15 doubles
- So far in 2013, Schwarber has seven home runs, seven doubles and one triple
- Schwarber also currently has a slugging percentage of .648 on the year with 81 total bases and 35 RBI thus far
He’s helping to put his team on the map
- Indiana baseball is off to one of the best starts in program history as they currently sit at a record of 29-8 overall and 8-4 in conference games
- The Hoosiers are ranked in the top 20 in nearly every national poll and rank 14th in RPI.
- At this rate, Indiana is making a strong case for themselves to potentially host a regional if they win the Big Ten and to even still make the field if they don’t
The Bottom Line: Schwarber is one of the key offensive components to this very talented Hoosier ball club. Between his consistency, power and impact, Schwarber continues to impress, giving many reasons as to why he should be on your radar.