Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance we might miss, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
Central Arkansas vs. Mississippi State
- Mississippi State remains unbeaten as they defeated Central Arkansas 4-2 in the season opener on Friday night. The Bulldogs were led by Hunter Renfroe who was 2 for 3 on the night with an RBI. Myles Gentry earned the win as he went 4.1 innings with three strikeouts without giving up a hit.
Final Score: Central Arkansas 2 – Mississippi State 4
Texas State vs. Oregon State
- The Beavers put on quite an offensive display as they defeated Texas State 16-4. Six different Beavers had multi-hit nights as Tyler Smith, Danny Hayes and Kavin Keyes accounted for ten of the Beavers’ RBI. Matt Boyd earned the win striking out five in 5.2 innings pitched. The Beavers remain undefeated with a record of 13-0.
Final Score: Texas State 4 – Oregon State 16
Boston College vs. Florida State
- Florida State starting pitcher, Brandon Leibrandt was fantastic on the mound for the Seminoles in the ACC-opener against Boston College, as he allowed just one hit in eight innings pitched. Leibrandt is now 4-0 on the season as the Seminoles remain undefeated with a record of 13-0
Final Score: Boston College 0 – Florida State 4
North Carolina vs. Wake Forest
- North Carolina ace Kent Emanuel posted his second complete-game shutout of the season on Friday night as North Carolina defeated Wake Forest 4-0 in their ACC-opener. Emanuel struck out seven on the night as the Tar Heels remain unbeaten with a 12-0 record.
Final Score: North Carolina 4 – Wake Forest 0
CBD Fun Fact: Who else is left unbeaten? Of all the teams in NCAA Division One baseball, only Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Oregon State and Mississippi State remain unbeaten.
Western Illinois vs. Minnesota
- In a night of college baseball filled with fantastic pitching performances, Minnesota’s Tom Windle takes the cake as he threw a no-hitter against Western Illinois. Windle struck out eight and walked just one batter in the no-hit performance as Minnesota defeated Western Illinois 3-0.
Final Score: Western Illinois 0 – Minnesota 3
Duke vs. Miami (FL)
- In the ACC-opener between Duke and Miami, the Blue Devils defeated the Hurricanes 4-2. Trent Swart (2-0) earned the win for the Blue Devils while striking out six and walking zero. Andrew Istler closed out the game on the mound picking up his third save of the year. Four different Duke players had multi-hit nights to power the team past Miami.
Final Score: Duke 4 – Miami 2
Indiana vs. Florida
- Indiana shocked Florida in Gainesville 4-1 to take the series opener. Indiana’s Kyle Schwarber was 4 for 4 on the night, with a run, RBI and a walk as he lead the Hoosiers past the Gators. Joey DeNato picked up the win after striking out five in 7.1 innings pitched.
Final Score: Indiana 4 – Florida 1
High Point vs. Tulane
- After a reversed third out in the bottom of the sixth that resulted in the go-ahead run scoring off an RBI single, Tulane defeated High Point 3-2. Tulane freshman, Tim Yandel was the hero for the Green Wave on Friday night as he brought in the go-ahead run for Tulane. Tony Rizzotti earned the win after going 8.0 innings on the mound with four strikeouts.
Final Score: High Point 2 – Tulane 3
Vanderbilt vs. Oregon
- Vanderbilt ace Kevin Ziomek was fantastic on the mound for the Commodores on Friday night as Vanderbilt defeated Oregon 4-1. In his complete game two-hitter, Ziomek struck out 13 while walking one. Ziomek is now 4-0 on the season as the Commodores are now 14-1.
Final Score: Vanderbilt 4 – Oregon 1