Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance we might miss, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
Rice vs. Hawaii
- It took nearly twice the innings of an average baseball game to come to a decision between Rice and Hawaii. In the top of the 17th, Ford Stainback and Geoff Perrott batted in two unanswered runs for the Owls to come out victorious.
Final Score: Rice 2 – Hawaii 0 (17 innings)
Rutgers vs. Old Dominion
- A home run by Rutgers’s Jeff Melillo powered the Scarlet Knights past Old Dominion in a 3-0 victory.
Final Score: Rutgers 3 – Old Dominion 0
St. Joseph’s vs. VCU
- One run in the bottom of the first is all it took for the VCU to defeat St. Joseph’s as Dwyer and Lees combined for a complete game shutout.
Final Score: St. Joseph’s 0 – VCU 1
Cal State Fullerton vs. TCU
- Freshman Thomas Eshelman struck out eight in 5 2/3 innings as Fullerton improved to 6-0. Shortstops Richy Pedroza and Keegan Dale combined to reach base four times and score three runs from the leadoff spot in the lineup. (Pedroza was ejected for arguing a call.)
Final Score: Fullerton 7 – TCU 2
Arizona State vs. Tennessee
- The Vols fell 4-0 at home to Arizona State, as Trevor Williams and Brett Lilek combined for a complete game shutout. Williams struck out eight for ASU in seven innings pitched.
Final Score: Arizona State 4 – Tennessee 0
Florida Gulf Coast vs. Florida
- Florida Gulf Coast upset the Gators in Gainesville behind a stellar complete game performance by Atlantic Sun Preseason Pitcher of the Year, Ricky Knapp.
Final Score: Florida Gulf Coast 8 – Florida 2
Kent State vs. San Diego
- Tyler Skulina and Michael Wagner were both outstanding on the mound, but the game was decided in the bottom of the ninth. AJ Robinson delivered a walk-off double to give the Toreros their first win of the season.
Final Score: Kent State 1 — San Diego 2
UCLA vs. Baylor
- Baylor trimmed the lead to 4-3 and had the bases loaded in the ninth inning, but UCLA freshman closer James Kaprielian got the final out for his first career save.
Final Score: UCLA 4 – Baylor 3
Loyola Marymount vs. Oregon
- Colin Welmon pitched six scoreless innings and the LMU bats woke up. Cullen Mahoney (2-5, R, 3 RBI, SB) and Matt Lowenstein (2-5, 2 RBI) led the way for the Lions.
Final Score: LMU 7 – Oregon 2
Cal State Northridge vs. USC
- The Matadors used patient at bats and took advantage of defensive lapses by USC to score five runs in the 10th inning. Josh Goossen-Brown had two RBI and pitched three scoreless innings to get the win.
Final Score: Northridge 9 – USC 4 (10 innings)
Pepperdine vs. Texas A&M
- Pepperdine scored three runs in the eighth inning keyed by a Sam Meyer two-run single for the come-from-behind 5-3 win at Texas A&M.
Final Score: Pepperdine 5 – Texas A&M 3
Suspended/Postponed Due To Weather
- Stony Brook vs. North Carolina
- Southeastern Louisiana vs. LSU
- Albany vs. South Carolina
- South Florida vs. Florida State
- LaSalle vs. NC State (Canceled)
- St. John’s vs. Georgia Tech
- Wright State vs. Clemson
- Binghamton vs. James Madison
- Hartford vs. Campbell
- Dayton vs. UNC Greensboro
- George Washington vs. South Carolina-Upstate
- Bethune-Cookman vs. Mercer
- Radford vs. Kennesaw State
- Indiana vs. Georgia Southern
- Northwestern vs. Kansas (Canceled)
- Georgetown vs. Davidson
- Pittsburgh vs. Wofford
- Canisius vs. UNC Asheville
- Delaware State vs. Winthrop
- Morehead State vs. Gardner-Webb
- Delaware vs. Wichita State (Canceled)
- Utah Valley vs. Portland
- Eastern Michigan vs. Washington State
- Creighton vs. Lamar (Canceled)
- Creighton vs. Washington (Canceled)
- Southern Illinois vs. Jacksonville State
- Army vs. Eastern Kentucky
- IUPU-Fort Wayne vs. Tennessee-Martin
- Middle Tennessee State vs. Auburn
- Elon vs. Coastal Carolina (Canceled)