College Baseball Daily throughout the season will be providing our Quick Hits on games throughout the country. Special thanks to William Knox and Mark Rafferty for contributing to this report. As always, follow us on Twitter @CB_Daily for instant reaction and the best up to minute coverage on college baseball in the country. We also have a Facebook page which can be joined by clicking here.
- The showdown in the state of Texas between Texas Longhorns RHP Taylor Jungmann and Texas A&M RHP John Stilson went in favor of the Longhorns in Game 1 behind a complete game performance from Jungmann. He tossed 120 pitches while giving up seven hits and two runs as he upped his record to a perfect 12-0 on the year with the 4-2 victory. Aggie pitcher John Stilson was wild in his 6.1 innings of work walking seven while striking out only three as he took the loss to lower his record to 5-2.
- TCU’s Matt Purke returned to the mound for the Horned Frogs on Thursday night. He was limited to only three scoreless innings of work (42 pitches) as he gave up one hit striking out four. He picked up the win for the Horned Frogs to up his record to 5-1 after a 9-0 victory over New Mexico. If Purke can come back at 85 percent or better, TCU will be a force to be reckoned with for the 2011 NCAA Tourney.
- Coming into Thursday evening, three teams were tied at the top of the SEC Eastern Division. After the action settled down, Florida has put themselves into control of their own destiny by defeating Kentucky 9-6 behind Mike Zunino’s two homers and five RBI performance. Vanderbilt dropped a 5-4 decision to Georgia and South Carolina lost 2-1 to Alabama. Both Vanderbilt and South Carolina need some help from the Kentucky Wildcats to get back into the mix for the SEC Eastern Division title.
- Florida State took care of business on Thursday night by defeating Clemson 8-6 with James Ramsey leading the offense by going 2-4 with a run scored and three RBI. The victory by the Seminoles clinched the ACC Atlantic Division title and guaranteed a top two seed in the upcoming ACC Tournament. Virginia failed to clinch the Coastal Division title as they were shut out by North Carolina 6-0. Patrick Johnson got the win for the Tar Heels by pitching a complete game four hitter as he struck out nine batters without allowing a walk. Virginia now has a one game lead over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets with two conference games remaining. If the two teams tie, UVA will win the division since they won two out of three games in their matchup.
- The big matchup between Southern Mississippi and Rice this weekend which will decide who wins the Conference USA title went to the Rice Owls in Game 1 by a score of 4-0. The Owls were led by Aaron Kubitza who went 8.1 innings giving up five hits, a walk, while striking out nine batters. Rice is now tied with the Golden Eagles for first place with identical 15-7 conference records. Southern Miss will need to win the next two games to get the number 1 seed in the Conference USA tournament next weekend as Rice would have the tiebreaker if the two teams split.