College Baseball Daily throughout the season will be providing our Quick Hits on games throughout the country. Special thanks to William Knox and Mark Rafferty for contributing to these reports. As always, follow us on Twitter @CB_Daily for instant reaction and the best up to minute coverage on college baseball in the country.
- Last week. North Carolina had a great weekend series victory over the Florida State Seminoles down in Tallahassee but my how things change in one week. The Tar Heels dropped their second straight game against intrastate rival NC State as they pick up their second series loss of the season. (Wake Forest is other series loss). NC State’s Brett Williamsand Cameron Conner drove in runs in the seventh and eighth innings while taking advantage of three UNC errors to pick up the 7-6 victory.
- Vanderbilt evened their series with South Carolina at a game by picking a 6-4 victory in Columbia on Saturday evening. They were led by Tony Kemp at the plate who went a perfect 5-5 with two runs scored from the lead off spot. Grayson Garvin picked up his seventh win of the season by pitching six innings while allowing six hits and four runs. Navery Moore got his eighth save by working a scoreless ninth inning.
- Georgia Tech’s Jed Bradley is officially struggling as he picked up a loss on Saturday night against Wake Forest after giving up five runs (three earned) in only five innings of work as the Yellow Jackets lost 6-4. I think Georgia Tech is just starting to come back to the pack after their ridiculous start to the season.
- The battle of the Tigers in Baton Rouge this weekend isn’t going in the favor of the LSU Tigers at all. Auburn picked up their second straight win of the weekend 3-1 behind a ninth inning two run homer from Casey McElroy to break a 1-1 tie. This summer I was highly impressed with McElroy in the Cape as he was named an All-Star in the prestigious league.
- Oregon State looks like the favorite still in the Pac-10 after dismantling the Stanford lineup for the second straight day in a victory over the Cardinal 8-1. Josh Osich got the win by giving up two hits and a run in six innings. He was wild on the mound walking five guys but striking out six.
- William Knox took in the Texas Tech and Texas game on Saturday afternoon which the Red Raiders won 2-1 holding off a late Longhorn rally. He was able to catch up to Texas Tech starting pitcher Trey Masek who went 6.1 shutout innings while giving up two hits and Texas Tech head coach Dan Spencer to get their thoughts on the win and the season.