FROM CBB NEWS SOURCE
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Marcus Nidiffer • Kentucky
Sr. • C • Bristol, Tenn.
• Nidiffer batted .500 (11-for-22) during the five-game week, with six runs, a double, two homers and 11 RBI, adding two walks, getting hit by one pitch and striking out just once, leading UK to its first series sweep over LSU in 19 years.
• Nidiffer’s biggest swing of his five-year career came with UK trailing by two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning and the bases loaded on Sunday, looking for the series sweep of the Tigers … In the last at bat of his home career, Nidiffer hit a grand slam on a 3-2 pitch from LSU All-American closer Matty Ott.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sam Dyson • South Carolina
Jr. • RHP • Tampa, Fla.
• Dyson pitched a six-hit complete game shutout as the Gamecocks defeated nationally ranked Arkansas 5-0 on the road Saturday afternoon to clinch a three-game SEC baseball series at Baum Stadium. With the win, the Gamecocks clinched its first series against Arkansas since 2001 and the first time ever the Gamecocks have won a series on the road at Arkansas.
• He limited the Razorbacks, who came in ranked second in the league in hitting and runs scored, to just six hits and walked only two on the afternoon.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Nolan Fontana • Florida
SS • Winter Garden, Fla.
• Batted .385 (5-for-13) with five runs, three RBI and three walks in Florida’s four victories last week without committing any errors…Keyed the Gators’ first sweep of Georgia at home since 2000 by hitting .300 (3-for-10) with three walks and two runs …Went 2-for-3 with three runs, two RBI and a homer in the 7-3 win over Sun Belt Conference leader Florida Atlantic.
• Was 1-for-4 with a double in the opener with the Bulldogs, then drew two walks on Saturday…Finished the series by going 2-for-4 with a pair of runs, a walk and a stolen base -Is fourth on Florida with a .293 batting average and leads the squad with 39 walks…Has committed one error in 214 chances for a fielding percentage of .995.