FROM CBB NEWS SOURCE
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
P.J. Polk • Tennessee Junior • OF • Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UT top offensive performer during a week in which it posted a 4-1 record, including back-to-back victories on the road against No. 11 Ole Miss to claim its first SEC series victory of the season…Hit at a .524 clip with a team-high 11 hits in 24 at-bats…Also posted a squad best nine runs while blasting out four longballs, including the first two home run performance of his career against the Rebels on Saturday.
• Had four home runs in the first four games of the week to give him a team-leading six on the season…Had at least one hit in all five games during the week to extend his season-long hitting streak to 10 games…Slugged at an incredible 1.095 rate.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Drew Smyly• Arkansas Sophomore • LHP • Little Rock, Ark.
• Quieted a Kentucky offense that had scored 12 runs the day before…held the Wildcats to one run on four hits in seven innings.
• Seven-inning performance matches his longest outing of the season…five strikeouts pushes his season total to 41…lowered his ERA to an SEC-best 1.60.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Brian Johnson • Florida LHP/DH • Cocoa Beach, Fla.
• Became the first Gator since Brad Wilkerson in 1998 to start in an SEC weekend series on the mound and also hit for himself -The rookie southpaw clinched the series victory by holding No. 17 Vanderbilt scoreless for the first 5.2 innings in Saturday’s 7-3 win -Allowed seven hits and one run with a walk and a strikeout and was 3-for-3 with a run scored at the plate to help his own cause.
• Improved to 3-1 overall and is 2-0 in SEC action with a 1.04 earned run average and has limited league foes to a .250 batting average -Led the Gators with a .556 (5-for-9) performance during the series victory over the Commodores -Started all three games at designated hitter and had at least one hit in all three games -Also drew three walks and registered a .667 on-base percentage.