UCLA outfielder/left-handed pitcher Justin Uribe will miss the rest of the season with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left arm according to a a report on Rivals.com. He was injured pitching on March 25th in a loss to San Diego State. This is a huge loss for the UCLA program as Uribe was one of the teams top pitchers this season with a 2-0 record and a 1.35 ERA. The full article is available here.
(Tempe, AZ) – Arizona State University turned five double plays during Sunday afternoon action, and completed the series sweep over the visiting University of Southern California. After a rough first inning in which ASU sent eight men to the plate and scored four of them, USC junior starter Ryan Cook settled into a groove and only gave up three additional hits and one more run over the next six innings. Cook takes the loss as the early game damage was too much to overcome, and the Trojans were not able to rally dropping the final game in the series 5 to 2. Continue reading
(Tucson, AZ) – University of California Los Angeles sophomore first baseman Casey Haerther was a perfect seven for seven at the plate on Saturday night, as the visiting Bruins defeated the University of Arizona Wildcats 20 to 8.
Haerther’s perfect performance included four doubles, four runs scored and four runs batted in as well. The seven hits were the most ever recorded by a UCLA player in a baseball game, and topped a six hit performance by former Bruin Chase Utley during the 2000 season. Continue reading
(Tempe, AZ) – After receiving a Reyes Dorado pitch in the top of the eighth inning, Arizona State team captain Petey Paramore fell forward, grabbing the back of his left knee. After a short huddle around the plate, Sun Devil athletic trainers assisted Paramore to the dugout.
In post game comments ASU head coach Pat Murphy stated that he wasn’t sure of the extent of the damage, but that it appeared the injury was to a left leg bone. Team doctors were planning on taking x-rays. Murphy stated he hoped to have Paramore for next weekends road series at Stanford.
Junior Paramore has earned First Team All Pac-10 honors for two straight years, and is once again on the official watch list for the 2008 Johnny Bench Award, given annually to the top division one collegiate catcher.
(Berkeley, CA) The #11 Cal Golden Bears (17-5-1) added another W as they gave the #4 Long Beach State Dirtbags (17-6) their first series loss of the season by a final score of 10-6. The Golden Bears took advantage of their home field advantage and abused the Dirtbags’ pitcher Vance Worley (3-1). Worley allowed a solo home run to Dylan Tonneson in the sixth, as Cal continued to bring the heat with another two runs in the seventh. Worley gave up nine runs (six earned) on 12 hits over six plus innings. Continue reading
(Stanford, CA) – Washington State junior Ross Humes was masterful having only gotten a little wild with a 3-2 pitch and hitting Stanford center fielder Sean Ratliff in the 5th. Humes stayed nearly perfect until facing Ratliff again in the 8th, as the no hitter and shutout bid was broken up by a solo home run to right field also on a 3-2 pitch. Continue reading
Long Beach State Media Release
LONG BEACH– Tyson Ross (4-0) out dueled Andrew Liebel (2-1) as No. 11-ranked California (16-5-1) won the opener of the three-game series with No. 4-ranked Long Beach State (17-5), 6-1. It was the first time an opponent has won an opening game of a three-game series against the Dirtbags this season.
Ross gave up five hits and struck out six over eight shutout innings. Ross produced 14 groundballs, including two double plays that ended LBSU threats in the middle innings. Ross began the game with three perfect innings and retired another seven in a row. Continue reading
(Tempe, AZ) – Arizona State opened Pac-10 play with a relentless offensive attack Friday night, as a sellout crowd of 4,371 witnessed the Sun Devils defeat the Trojans 16 to 5 at Winkles Field – Packard Stadium at Brock Ballpark. The Devils were impressive on offense from the start as they managed to get the leadoff hitter aboard safely and bring him home in each of the first five innings as the Devils built a 16 to 3 lead, before the Trojans scored a final two in the top of the eighth. Continue reading
(Corvallis, OR) – Inclement weather postponed the Pac-10 opener for Washington and Oregon State on Friday evening. The two time defending national champion Beavers and Huskies are now scheduled to start conference play with a double header on Saturday. First pitch for game one is scheduled for 1:00 pm (PDT), with the second game getting under way 0:45 after the completion of the first. However, the forecast for today and tonight calls for a 60% chance of rain with the possibility of snow in the mix. More snow is forecast overnight and Sunday shows a 40% chance of rain.
(Tucson, AZ) – The University of Arizona’s troubles continued Friday night while the University of California Los Angeles stopped a slide and won their Pac-10 opener with a 4 to 3 victory. The difference in the game was UCLA scoring a single run in the top of the 10th. UCLA had dropped four straight coming in to the contest while U of A has now lost 7 of 8. Continue reading