Here are some of my top highlights from action on March 2nd. Continue reading
FROM NCBWA RELEASE
MORGANTOWN, W.Va – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player of the Week awards for the period ending February 19, today. Central Michigan senior catcher William Arnold was named National Hitter of the Week, while Duke sophomore right-hander Robert Huber was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season. Continue reading
One of the things heading into the weekend that I wanted to see was how dominate Marcus Stroman would be with the Duke Blue Devils as a starting pitcher. He was far from dominant in his first start of the year on Saturday, lasting only five innings giving up three runs on four hits and six walks against the Texas Longhorns. I still believe he will be a great reliever but doesn’t have the type of stuff to be a starting pitcher but that is just my opinion. The Blue Devils ended up losing that game 4-0 in seven innings before dropping the nightcap 5-3. Continue reading
Baylor vs. Oral Roberts (Postponed)
- Doubleheader scheduled for tomorrow, starting at 12:05 PM.
Kansas 3 Bowling Green 1 (Game 1)
- Kansas took the lead in the seventh on a two-run single from LF Tucker Tharp.
- SS Kevin Kuntz led the Jayhawks with two hits. Kansas had six hits total.
- Freshman LHP Wes Benjamin picked up the win in his first career start, going seven innings and allowing only one run on five hits. Benjamin walked one and struck out three.
- Tanner Poppe picked up his first save of the season, allowing a hit and striking out a batter in the ninth. Continue reading
Game 1: #3 North Carolina 10 Xavier 2
Carolina took a commanding four-run lead after the first inning in game one and never looked back en route to a 10-2 season-opening victory over Xavier.
Tommy Coyle opened the year as he finished 2011 by reaching base safely for the 30th consecutive game with a single to left field in the first. Colin Moran followed with a single of his own before Cody Stubbs was hit by a pitch to load the bases for Jacob Stallings. Continue reading
- Baylor scored a pair in the 8th off a Josh Ludy RBI single and Michael Howard RBI walk.
- Baylor’s 1-4 hitters were 6-12, with four walks, three runs, and two RBI. The remaining hitters were 0-16 with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- 1B Max Muncy was 2-2 with two walks and a run.
- RHP Josh Turley only last 4.2 innings, but he only gave up five hits and allowed a pair of unearned runs. Trent Blank was excellent in relief, picking up the victory with 3.1 innings of work, allowing one hit and a pair of walks. Dillon Newman picked up the save with a perfect ninth. Continue reading
Opening weekend is upon us once again. Here is a preview of the Big 12, including pitching probables and a few players to look out for on each team. Continue reading
College Baseball Daily has put together with our large staff of College Baseball writers our first annual All-American Team. You can check out the full team below. Continue reading
The story of the year in the ACC was how much more dominant the ACC Coastal Division was with four teams winning 19 or more games on the year. Virginia ended up tying Georgia Tech for the overall conference and Coastal Division titles with identical 22-8 records. North Carolina finished in third place in the division with a 20-10 record while Miami (FL) went 19-10 for fourth place. Virginia Tech started the conference season with one win in their first nine games but ended up going 10-11 the rest of the year to finish the season with an 11-19 record. Duke finished in last place with a 7-23 mark. Continue reading