- Baylor scored a pair in the 8th off a Josh Ludy RBI single and Michael Howard RBI walk.
- Baylor’s 1-4 hitters were 6-12, with four walks, three runs, and two RBI. The remaining hitters were 0-16 with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- 1B Max Muncy was 2-2 with two walks and a run.
- RHP Josh Turley only last 4.2 innings, but he only gave up five hits and allowed a pair of unearned runs. Trent Blank was excellent in relief, picking up the victory with 3.1 innings of work, allowing one hit and a pair of walks. Dillon Newman picked up the save with a perfect ninth. Continue reading
Opening weekend is upon us once again. Here is a preview of the Big 12, including pitching probables and a few players to look out for on each team. Continue reading
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
The Cal State Fullerton Titans were selected as the favorite to capture the 2012 Big West Conference title according to the 2012 Big West Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll after receiving six of the nine first-place votes and totaling 76 points. Picking up three first-place votes was UC Irvine, who was selected second with 70 points. Rounding out the top three after collecting 58 points were the 49ers of Long Beach State. Continue reading
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — Home series against Oklahoma State, Washington, San Diego State and UC Irvine highlight the 2012 Cal Poly baseball schedule announced by Mustang director of athletics Don Oberhelman and head coach Larry Lee.
Cal Poly will open the 2012 season by hosting Oklahoma State for a three-game set Feb. 17-19 and also will entertain Washington for three games March 9-11 and San Diego State, coached by Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, for a quartet of games March 23-25.
By: Trevor Kuss
The final week of Big West play has 5 games set for action, with all 9 teams active. The Highlanders will travel up to Davis to take on the Aggies. Long Beach State heads over to UC Irvine to take on the Anteaters. Fullerton is back in action and taking on last place Northridge. Pacific travels to Santa Barbara to take on the Gauchos. Cal Poly, having already completed their conference season, will be taking on Cal State Bakersfield. Continue reading
The first day of College Baseball is in the books with some interesting results. The season isn’t a sprint but a bad start to the season could always affect your chances at making the NCAA Baseball Tournament in May. All of the top 35 teams were scheduled to be in action but number nine ranked Cal-State Fullerton was rained out at Long Beach State. The only ranked matchup was between the Stanford Cardinal who visited the Rice Owls. Here are some of my thoughts on the first night of action in College Baseball. I will try to do these every night throughout the season especially on weekends. If I missed a great performance or a great storyline please leave your comments below. Continue reading
- Texas State starter Mitchell Pitts looked great with his command, striking out seven batters over six innings, giving up two runs on two hits and one walk.
- Texas State 1B Casey Kalenkosky was 3-3 today with two runs, two RBI and a double. Kalenkosky was a JUCO All-American last season at Cisco Junior College Continue reading
The Big 12 opens the week with a promising schedule. Texas Tech hosts a tournament, while Nebraska and Missouri are both participating in tournaments away from home. No. 6 Texas plays host to Maryland, with No. 5 Oklahoma playing host to William and Mary. Most of the other match-ups favor the Big 12 teams, including no. 32 Baylor/Oral Roberts, no. 16 Texas A&M/LeMoyne, Oklahoma State/Bryant and Kansas State/Pacific. Unfortunately, Kansas travels to Fort Worth to take on no. 3 TCU, which won’t be good for the early season record.
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
Irvine, Calif. — Cal State Fullerton is the predominate favorite in the 2011 Big West Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll, receiving all nine first-place votes. The Titans have claimed at least a share of eight of the last 12 titles and a conference-best 15 overall. UC Irvine and UC Riverside found themselves knotted in second place with 65 votes apiece. Receiving 50 points to grab the fourth slot is Cal Poly while Long Beach State rounds out the top five with 47 points.
FROM CBB NEWS SOURCE
J.J. Thompson of Cal Poly and Scott Lyman of UC Davis helped their teams to series victories as the recipients of Big West Field Player and Pitcher of the Week, respectively.