In preparing for the weekend, I caught up with Oregon State head coach Pat Casey to talk about his thoughts on how the season has gone so far for the Beavers. Oregon State is 8-0 and off to their best start since 1962. “Obviously when you start 8-0, you feel like you did a lot of things well,” Casey said. We played fairly well on the defensive side of the game. I think we could have swung the bats better.” The Beavers enter the weekend with a .297 team batting average, but will look to improve upon that number against a team in Bryant who has only played three games this season. Continue reading
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
Cal State Fullerton was selected to successfully defend its Big West Conference title this season, according to the ten conference coaches that voted on the 2013 Big West Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll. The Titans earned nine first-place votes en route to a total of 99 points and was followed by UC Irvine, who collected the remaining first place vote and posted an overall 82 point total. Rounding out the top three after securing 75 points was Long Beach State. Continue reading
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — Thomas Eager, a pitcher at Cal Poly in 2006 and 2007 who also pitched four seasons in the minor leagues with the St. Louis Cardinals organization, is Cal Poly’s new pitching coach. Continue reading
Baylor vs. Oral Roberts (Postponed)
- Doubleheader scheduled for tomorrow, starting at 12:05 PM.
Kansas 3 Bowling Green 1 (Game 1)
- Kansas took the lead in the seventh on a two-run single from LF Tucker Tharp.
- SS Kevin Kuntz led the Jayhawks with two hits. Kansas had six hits total.
- Freshman LHP Wes Benjamin picked up the win in his first career start, going seven innings and allowing only one run on five hits. Benjamin walked one and struck out three.
- Tanner Poppe picked up his first save of the season, allowing a hit and striking out a batter in the ninth. Continue reading
One of the biggest upsets of the day was between two ACC teams with Boston College beating Virginia 5-3 behind sophomore Eric Stevens who pitched six innings giving up three runs on seven hits. Leading the Eagles offense was a Spenser Payne three run homer in a four run fourth inning. Continue reading
- Baylor scored a pair in the 8th off a Josh Ludy RBI single and Michael Howard RBI walk.
- Baylor’s 1-4 hitters were 6-12, with four walks, three runs, and two RBI. The remaining hitters were 0-16 with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- 1B Max Muncy was 2-2 with two walks and a run.
- RHP Josh Turley only last 4.2 innings, but he only gave up five hits and allowed a pair of unearned runs. Trent Blank was excellent in relief, picking up the victory with 3.1 innings of work, allowing one hit and a pair of walks. Dillon Newman picked up the save with a perfect ninth. Continue reading
Opening weekend is upon us once again. Here is a preview of the Big 12, including pitching probables and a few players to look out for on each team. Continue reading
FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
The Cal State Fullerton Titans were selected as the favorite to capture the 2012 Big West Conference title according to the 2012 Big West Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll after receiving six of the nine first-place votes and totaling 76 points. Picking up three first-place votes was UC Irvine, who was selected second with 70 points. Rounding out the top three after collecting 58 points were the 49ers of Long Beach State. Continue reading
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — Home series against Oklahoma State, Washington, San Diego State and UC Irvine highlight the 2012 Cal Poly baseball schedule announced by Mustang director of athletics Don Oberhelman and head coach Larry Lee.
Cal Poly will open the 2012 season by hosting Oklahoma State for a three-game set Feb. 17-19 and also will entertain Washington for three games March 9-11 and San Diego State, coached by Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, for a quartet of games March 23-25.
By: Trevor Kuss
The final week of Big West play has 5 games set for action, with all 9 teams active. The Highlanders will travel up to Davis to take on the Aggies. Long Beach State heads over to UC Irvine to take on the Anteaters. Fullerton is back in action and taking on last place Northridge. Pacific travels to Santa Barbara to take on the Gauchos. Cal Poly, having already completed their conference season, will be taking on Cal State Bakersfield. Continue reading