Here is a look at some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance that we may have missed, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
Kentucky vs. LSU
- The LSU Tigers defeated Kentucky 11-1 on Friday night. The win improved LSU’s record to 28-2, tying the best start in program history. Aaron Nola picked up his fifth win of the season after going 7.0 innings, striking out seven and allowing one run.
Final Score: Kentucky 1 – LSU 11
Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi
- Vanderbilt edged Ole Miss 3-1 in a pitcher’s duel on Friday night. The game remained tied at 1-1 through seven innings until a sac fly by Spencer Navin scored Mike Yastrzemski in the top of the eighth and a single by Connor Harrell scored Tony Kemp in the top of the ninth to give Vanderbilt the two-run lead.
Final Score: Vanderbilt 3 – Mississippi 1
Oregon vs. Arizona State
- In what proved to be a strong match-up, the Arizona State Sun Devils defeated Oregon 6-5 on Friday night. A four-run top of the eighth by the Ducks tied up the game, before it headed into extra innings. ASU freshman RJ Ybarra provided the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the 11th to score Max Rossiter as the Devils took game one of the series.
Final Score: Oregon 5 – Arizona State 6 (11 innings)
Florida State vs. Miami (FL)
- After trailing the first seven innings of the game, Florida State came back to defeat Miami with two runs in each of the final innings on Friday night. Brett Knief and John Sansone both had big nights at the plate with multiple hits. Gage Smith and Robby Coles combined for four scoreless innings of relief as Coles picked up his second win of the year.
Final Score: Florida State 4 – Miami 2
Oklahoma vs. Texas
- The Oklahoma Sooners held off the Longhorns to open the Big 12 series with a 2-1 victory on Friday night. Jonathan Gray earned the win on the mound after pitching 6.2 innings allowing just one unearned run while striking out eight.
Final Score: Oklahoma 2 – Texas 1
Houston vs. Marshall
- In one of the highest scoring games of the year so far, Marshall defeated Houston 19-13 to open up the series on Friday night. Marshall’s Kolin Stanley earned the win on the mound. Between Houston and Marshall, a combined total of 13 pitchers were used on the night, allowing nearly 40 hits.
Final Score: Houston 13 – Marshall 19
Virginia Tech vs. NC State
- It took 14 innings to determine a winner in the Friday night matchup between Virginia Tech and NC State before the Wolfpack came out on top. NC State’s Grant Clyde scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 14th to give the Wolfpack the win. Josh Easley finished the game on the mound for NC State, picking up his third win of the season
Final Score: Virginia Tech 7 – NC State 8