Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance that we may have missed, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
NC State vs East Carolina
- Four NC State players–Brett Williams, Jake Fincher, Tarran Senay, and Carlos Rodon–all had multiple hits as NC State defeated East Carolina 6-1 on Tuesday night. Three Wolfpack pitchers–Ryan Wilkins, Josh Easley, and Grant Sasser–combined to strike out 11, walk zero, and allow just one run off of four hits in the victory.
Final Score: NC State 6 – East Carolina 1
Alcorn State vs LSU
- The LSU Tigers came back from an early 3-0 deficit to defeat Alcorn State 7-3 on Tuesday night for their ninth consecutive win, bringing them to a record of 27-2. The Tigers were led offensively by the middle of their order, all of which had multi-hit nights including shortstop Alex Bregman, outfielder Raph Rhymes and first baseman Mason Katz.
Final Score: Alcorn State 3 – LSU 7
Florida Gulf Coast vs Florida State
- The Florida State Seminoles defeated the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 12-9 on Tuesday night after Stephen McGee hit a grand slam in the sixth inning to solidify a Florida State lead. Gage Smith earned the win on the mound in a relief appearance, bringing his record to 4-0 on the year.
Final Score: Florida Gulf Coast 9 – Florida State 12
Cal State Fullerton vs UCLA
- Cal State Fullerton defeated UCLA 9-4 Tuesday night behind a dynamic offensive performance by center fielder Michael Lorenzen who went 4-for-5 with three RBI on the night. Lorenzen also picked up his ninth save of the year as he closed things out on the mound for the Titans.
Final Score: Cal State Fullerton 9 – UCLA 4
Georgia Tech vs Mercer
- The Mercer Bears defeated Georgia Tech 10-1 in what was an impressive mid-week win that saw five different Mercer batters with multiple hits. In particular, first baseman Travis Benn had five RBI on the night, including two home runs. Stephen Glaze picked up his second win of the year, as he pitched 2.1 innings of relief, striking out four.
Final Score: Georgia Tech 1 – Mercer 10
Mississippi State vs South Alabama
- Mississippi State’s Hunter Renfroe had another strong night at the plate as he was the lone batter from either team to have multiple hits in the Bulldog’s 6-4 win over South Alabama. First baseman, Wes Rea also had a strong performance at the plate with a clutch two-RBI single in the top of the ninth to give the Bulldogs a two-run lead that would remain for the rest of the game.
Final Score: Mississippi State 6 – South Alabama 4
Arizona State vs Wichita State
- Freshmen were key for the Sun Devils both at the plate and on the mound late in the game as Arizona State defeated Wichita State 4-3 on Tuesday night. Freshman designated hitter, RJ Ybarra hit an RBI single in the top of the ninth to give the Sun Devils the go-ahead run and fellow freshman Ryan Burr closed the game out on the mound for Arizona State to secure the win as well as pick up his sixth save of the season.
Final Score: Arizona State 4 – Wichita State 3
Kentucky vs Louisville
- In an extra inning battle between in-state foes Kentucky and Louisville, the Wildcats earned the win after a sacrifice fly by Kyle Barrett that scored J.T. Riddle. Trevor Gott picked up the win on the mound, improving his record to 4-0 on the season.
Final Score: Kentucky 5 – Louisville 4
Gonzaga vs Washington State
- Gonzaga defeated Washington State 7-2 on Tuesday night behind a perfect offensive performance at the plate by first baseman Marco Gonzales who went 3-for-3 with two RBI on the night as well as two walks. Derek Callahan earned the win after starting the game with five scoreless innings.
Final Score: Gonzaga 7 – Washington State 2
UC Irvine vs Southern California
- UC Irvine defeated Southern California 3-1 on Tuesday night as Dominique Taylor went 2-for-4 on the night, leading the Anteaters offensively. Mitch Merten picked up the win on the mound after pitching 3.1 scoreless innings of relief and Race Parmenter closed out the game, picking up his fourth save of the year.
Final Score: UC Irvine 3 – Southern California 1