Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance that we may have missed, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
Arizona State vs. Oregon State
- Arizona State left-handed pitcher, Ryan Kellogg, threw the program’s ninth no hitter on Saturday as the Sun Devils defeated Oregon State 4-0 to tie the series, handing the Beavers just their second loss of the season. Kellogg did not allow a walk either as both base runners reached on fielding errors. The no hitter comes just a day after Arizona State was one-hit by Oregon State for the first time since 1983.
- “It was a bounce-back day after what happened yesterday. We kind of took that to heart and we weren’t going to let that happen again today. So we came out aggressive, swung the bats early and kept it going throughout the game. I just tried to come out and pitch and it all came together today” said Kellogg.
- The Sun Devils and the Beavers will play the rubber match of the series on Sunday at 12:05 PT
Final Score: Arizona State 4- Oregon State 0
Kent State vs. Northern Illinois
- In what seems to be a common theme on the weekend, Northern Illinois’s Eli Anderson had a stellar performance on the mound as he threw a complete game shutout on Saturday. Anderson struck out eight batters and allowed just five hits as the Huskies defeated the Golden Flashes 3-0 to tie the series.
Final Score: Kent State 0 – Northern Illinois 3
Baylor vs. Oklahoma State
- The Baylor Bears defeated Oklahoma State in extra innings on Saturday to tie the series. An RBI double by center fielder Logan Brown gave the Bears the go ahead run in the top of the twelfth as Crayton Bare closed things out on the mound for Baylor to hold off the Cowboys.
Final Score: Baylor 5 – Oklahoma State 3 (12 innings)
Mississippi State vs. Kentucky
- As game three of the series was moved up to Saturday due to impending weather, the Kentucky Wildcats powered back from a Friday night loss to take both games of double header and win the series from behind. Kentucky’s Jerad Grundy was fantastic in game one of the double header, striking out ten without allowing a walk in his eight innings pitched.
Final Score Game One: Mississippi State 2 – Kentucky 3
Final Score Game Two: Mississippi State 3 – Kentucky 4
Rutgers vs. Louisville
- In the opening weekend of Big East play, Rutgers won the series at Louisville Saturday with a 7-3 win in the second game of a doubleheader. After defeating the Cardinals on Friday night, Rutgers was shutout 4-0 in game one of the doubleheader. Steve Zavala and Jeff Melillo led the Scarlet Knights offensively in the final game of the series, each going 3-for-3 at the plate.
Final Score Game One: Rutgers 0 – Louisville 4
Final Score Game Two: Rutgers 7 – Louisville 3
NC State vs. Virginia
- North Carolina State dropped both games of a doubleheader at Virginia, as the Cavaliers clinched the conference series. Scott Silverstein improved to 4-0 on the season in game two of the double header as he struck out five in five innings pitched for the Cavaliers.
Final Score Game One: NC State 2 – Virginia 8
Final Score Game Two: NC State 3 - Virginia 4
Utah vs. Stanford
- The Utah Utes upset Stanford 3-2 in extra innings on Saturday to tie the series. An RBI by Trey Nielsen scored Dallas Carroll to give the Utes the go-ahead run in the top of the tenth as Luke West held off the Cardinal on the mound in the bottom of the tenth, earning his first win of the year.
Final Score: Utah 3 – Stanford 2