Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance we might miss, feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
Arkansas vs. Arizona State
- The Arizona State Sun Devils defeated Arkansas 3-1 on Saturday to collect their third straight win of the Coca Cola Classic in Surprise, Arizona. Arkansas has yet to win a game in the tournament as they have now fallen to Arizona State twice and Gonzaga once.
Final Score: Arkansas 1 – Arizona State 3
Oregon vs. Cal State Fullerton
- Cal State Fullerton defeated Oregon 5-2 on Saturday, as they now start the season off with a record of 10-0. Michael Lorenzen was two-for-three on the night with three RBI, and he also closed out the game for the Titans on the mound.
Final Score: Oregon 2 – Cal State Fullerton 5
Akron vs. Kentucky
- Kentucky’s Jerad Grundy struck out 12 while retiring 24 of the 26 batters he faced in Saturday’s 7-0 victory over Akron. The 12 strikeouts were a career-high for Grundy and he did not let a runner advance beyond first base throughout the entire night.
Final Score: Akron 0 – Kentucky 7
Northern Illinois vs. Dartmouth
- Dartmouth’s Kyle Hunter and Mitch Horacek combined for a 13-strikeout, three-hit shutout to lead Dartmouth past Northern Illinois 1-0. Dartmouth’s lone run came in home run form as left fielder, Ryan Toimil, homered to right field in the bottom of the seventh.
Final Score: Northern Illinois 0 – Dartmouth 1
TCU vs. Jacksonville
- TCU earned their second win of the season as they defeated Jacksonville 10-0 on Saturday. TCU’s Preston Morrison and Riley Ferrell combined for the shutout and the Horned Frogs were led offensively by Jantzen Witte, who hit his first career grand slam.
Final Score: TCU 10 – Jacksonville 0
Virginia Tech vs. Notre Dame
- Notre Dame defeated Virginia Tech 3-0 on Saturday as Notre Dame’s Adam Norton pitched a complete-game four-hit shutout. Trey Mancini of Notre Dame had all three RBI including a home run in the bottom of the fourth to offensively power the Irish.
Final Score: Virginia Tech 0 – Notre Dame 3
Clemson vs. South Carolina
- In one of the most exciting non-conference rivalries in college baseball, Clemson defeated South Carolina 6-3 to tie the series at one game each. Four Tigers–Thomas Brittle, Steven Duggar, Jay Baum and Tyler Krieger–had multi-hit nights to lead Clemson to victory.
Final Score: Clemson 6 – South Carolina 3
Manhattan vs. Florida Gulf Coast
- In game one of Saturday’s doubleheader between Manhattan and Florida Gulf Coast, Florida Gulf Coast’s Michael Murray and RJ Brown combined on the mound for a two-hit shutout as the Eagles defeated Manhattan 1-0. Mike Dwyer had a solo homer in the bottom of the sixth to score the lone run of the night.
Final Score: Manhattan 0 – Florida Gulf Coast 1
Florida Atlantic vs. NC State
- NC State’s Carlos Rodon was outstanding on the mound for the Wolfpack in Saturday’s 2-1 extra-inning victory over Florida Atlantic. The sophomore pitcher struck out 16 batters in just seven innings pitched. A groundout to right by Tarran Senay in the bottom of the tenth allowed Trea Turner to reach home safely for a walk-off victory.
Final Score: Florida Atlantic 1 – NC State 2