Here are some of the top performances and highlights on the day. We will be providing daily articles as often as possible this season. If you know of an outstanding performance ever that we might miss feel free to send us an email by clicking here.
SIU Edwardsville vs. Lipscomb
- Lipscomb was walked a school-record 13 times in Saturday’s game against SIU Edwardsville as they defeated the Cougars 11-4
Final Score: SIU Edwardsville 4 - Lipscomb 11
Siena vs. UCF
- The Saints bounced back from a 7-1 loss on opening day at UCF to tie up the series with a 7-4 win. First baseman Larry Balkwill powered the team offensively going 2-4 with 3 RBIs.
Final Score: Siena 7 – UCF 4
Washington State vs. Western Carolina
- Western Carolina clinched their opening series against Washington State on Saturday as they defeated the Cougars 15-10. In the loss, Washington State committed seven errors resulting in eight unearned runs for the Catamounts.
Final Score: Washington State 10 – Western Carolina 15
Southern Illinois vs. UAB
- The UAB Bulldogs shut out Southern Illinois 1-0 to earn their first win of the season. Sophomores James Naile and Dylan Munger combined for a 4-hit shutout as the Bulldogs tied the series up at 1-1.
Final Score: Southern Illinois 0 – UAB 1
Stony Brook vs. Florida International
- Last year’s CWS underdog favorite is off to a rough start as Florida International has clinched the opening series against the Seawolves. The Panthers took both games in the double header winning the first 3-0 and the second 10-4.
Final Score: Stony Brook 4 – Florida International 10
Oklahoma State vs. New Mexico
- In an extra innings nail biter, the Cowboys defeated the Lobos 15-14. An RBI single by Jarrett Higgins gave the Cowboys the go-ahead run as they held off New Mexico to clinch the opening series.
Final Score: Oklahoma State 15 – New Mexico 14 (13 innings)
Louisville vs. South Florida
- Louisville’s Josh Thompson threw a career-high 12 strikeouts in just five innings, as the Cardinals earned their first victory of the year. Kyle Gibson, Cole Sturgeon and Nick Ratajczak all had multi-hit games in the Cardinals victory.
Final Score: Louisville 10 – South Florida 1
Utah vs. LMU
- It was a pitcher’s duel in Los Angeles as the Utes fell to Loyal Marymount 1-0 to tie up the series. Trevor Megill, LMU’s winning pitcher, threw 11 strikeouts in the victory while walking just one batter.
Final Score: Utah 0 – LMU 1
Connecticut vs. Indiana.
- In what has been the longest game so far in the 2013 season, the Connecticut Huskies defeated the Indiana Hoosiers 4-3 in 15 innings of baseball. Freshman, Bryan Daniello was the hero for the Huskies as he scored from third on a wild pitch as a pinch runner in his collegiate debut.
Final Score: Connecticut 4 – Indiana 3
Going for the Sweep
Get out your brooms because all of the following teams are going for the sweep on Sunday:
- Alabama State
- Arizona State
- Arkansas State
- Bowling Green State
- Cal Poly
- Central Arkansas
- Florida Atlantic
- Florida State
- Georgia State
- Georgia Tech
- Illinois State
- Kennesaw State
- Miami (FL)
- Middle Tennessee State
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- North Florida
- Northwestern State
- Oklahoma State
- San Diego State
- San Jose State
- Santa Clara
- South Alabama
- Southeast Missouri State
- Southeast Louisiana State
- Southern Miss
- ST. Joseph’s
- Saint Louis University
- UC Irvine
- UT Arlington
- Western Carolina
Inclement weather swept the Carolina’s on Saturday as snow covered the ground, causing multiple games to be either cancelled or postponed due to inclement weather. Games impacted include:
- Seton Hall vs. North Carolina
- Liberty vs. South Carolina
- Appalachian State vs. North Carolina State
- James Madison vs. Coastal Carolina
- Albany vs. Toledo
- Albany vs. Wright State
- Delaware State vs. Charlotte
- LaSalle vs. Villanova
- Marist vs. VCU
- Monmouth vs. Temple
- Northwestern vs. Furman
- Eastern Michigan vs. Campbell
- St Peter’s vs. Longwood
- UMES vs. Winthrop
- Canisius vs. Delaware
- New Jersey Tech vs. North Carolina Central
- Niagara vs. Wofford
- Buffalo vs. North Carolina A&T
- Army vs. UNC Greensboro