Here are some of my top highlights from action on March 2nd.
- Ummm…Are you serious? Duke junior RHP Marcus Stroman was straight up dealing on Friday against George Washington as he struck out 17 batters out of 23 batters faced in seven innings as the Blue Devils won 13-2. That is freaking insane. I knew he was good but never thought he would put up ridiculous numbers like that. He was only two short of the ACC record of 19 which he probably would have passed if he stayed in the game longer. You can check out the full video highlights by clicking here.
- Can’t some schools just hug it out nowadays? There was a postgame ejection of Rice infielder Shane Hoelscher in the Texas Longhorns 11-8 victory over the Owls. Hoelscher will likely have to sit out Saturday’s game according to the rules as an ejection requires an automatic one game suspension. This wasn’t the only heated game on Friday night as Clemson and South Carolina played a tough game in Charleston on Friday. The Gamecocks walked away with a 3-2 11 inning victory. The game featured multiple hard slides and the general animosity between the programs. The teams will face off on Saturday in Columbia, South Carolina before heading to the Tigers home field on Sunday afternoon.
- Stanford headed on the road for their first weekend away from home and the results were not good to say the least. Stanford starter Mark Appel ended up going eight innings but gave up two homers and seven runs as Fresno State picked up the 7-4 victory. According to people at the game, Appel did touch 98 on the gun but continues to struggle with fooling collegiate hitters like he does in the summer.
- So is Boston College for real? I don’t think the Eagles will be able to continue their success once the ACC action kicks in next weekend. The Eagles have started off well with a 6-2 mark after defeating Florida Gulf Coast on Friday night 11-8. Lets look deeper though into the teams that BC has beaten. They beat a highly overrated Virginia squad which lost this past week to Liberty and a Coastal Carolina team that dropped a game on Friday to Pittsburgh. The other win came against UCF which is their best win on the year while each of their two victories against FGCU are probably their weakest on the year. I still stand by my prediction that the Eagles will miss the ACC Tournament when push comes to shove.
- On the other hand, Maryland is off to a great 6-1 start with a 3-2 win over Manhattan on Friday. I have been saying for years that it was a matter of time before Coach Bakich put everything together in College Park and developed the Terps into a national power. I thought last year that they would take the next step but was wrong. I guess I was just a year early as Tim Kiene is leading the offense with a .333 batting average with three homers. I see the Terps making a run into the ACC Tournament this year and making the NCAA Tournament after this solid start.
- As most of our readers know, I am a Northeast guy but last year at the CWS we had some crazy weather including a tornado warning with the sirens going off. It was nuts but there was a couple of games postponed on the day including Pepperdine at Louisville and URI at Vanderbilt. The URI baseball team ended up spending time in their hotel ballroom as seen below with a video and a photo. Hopefully, all our readers missed the wild weather.