FROM CBD NEWS SOURCE
OMAHA, Neb., June 29, 2011 – The nation’s #1-ranked home run hitter for the 2011 college baseball season, Georgia Southern University’s Victor Roache, will compete, along with seven other talented sluggers, for the 2011 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby crown.
The second annual event will take place live at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha (Neb.) on Saturday, July 2, at 7:30 p.m. CDT. CBS will televise the event nationwide on Sunday, July 3, at 1 p.m. CDT.
Roache, a sophomore from Georgia Southern, finished the 2011 season with 30 home runs and 84 runs batted in (RBIs). Roache was also named First Team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) and Baseball America earlier this month.
Roache is joined by Daniel Aldrich, a redshirt freshman right-fielder for the College of Charleston Cougars. Aldrich led all Division I freshmen in home runs (22), RBIs (73), hitting percentage (.739) and total bases (164). He was named Collegiate Baseball’s National Freshman of the Year and was a semifinalist for the 2011 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, awarded to the nation’s top amateur baseball player. Aldrich also garnered Louisville Slugger Second Team All-American and NCBWA Freshman All-American First Team honors.
Joining Roache and Aldrich in Omaha will be:
• Andrew Rash, a redshirt sophomore from Virginia Tech University who finished the 2011 season with 18 home runs
• Doug Shribman, first baseman from Bucknell University with 16 home runs in 2011
• Dylan Pratt, a junior outfielder who hit 16 home runs for East Tennessee State University, the alma mater of 2010 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby champion Paul Hoilman
• Joey DeMichele, a sophomore designated hitter and Baseball America Third Team All-American from Arizona State University who recorded 9 homers in 2011.
• Connor Harrell, a sophomore outfielder from Vanderbilt University who hit 9 home runs in 2011, including two at the College World Series.
• Richie Shaffer, a sophomore first baseman from Clemson University who has 20 career home runs and was named to the 2011 First-Team All-ACC.
The Derby will also feature three Major League Baseball legends, Joe Carter and Baseball Hall of Fame member Paul Molitor who will serve as honorary hitting coaches for Derby participants. In addition, All-Star player Frank Thomas will provide commentary for CBS during the competition.
Tickets for the 2011 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby, which will include the 27th annual Omaha World-Herald fireworks display, are still available and may be purchased in person from the Qwest Center Omaha arena box offices, by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.collegehomerunderby.com. A portion of the proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to
TD Ameritrade’s three major charitable giving initiatives: the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity and the United Way.
For more information, visit www.collegehomerunderby.com.
Intersport, a sports and entertainment marketing company, will produce and market the 2011 College Home Run Derby in conjunction with TD Ameritrade.
TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation, Intersport, the Omaha World-Herald, Baseball America, National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) and the Qwest Center Omaha, are separate and unaffiliated companies and are not responsible for each other’s services or policies. The 2011 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, its teams, or affiliated entities.
About TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation
For more than 36 years, TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: AMTD) has been in the business of serving individual investors – either directly or through a network of independent registered investment advisors. Through its brokerage(1) and education(2) subsidiaries, TD Ameritrade combines innovative trading technology, easy-to-use trading tools, investment services and education, and superior client service to create a market-leading financial services experience. Home to Kiplinger’s #1 online broker(3) and Barron’s #1 online broker for “Options Traders”(4),TD Ameritrade provides millions of retail investors, traders and independent registered investment advisors with the tools, service and support they need to help build confidence in today’s rapidly changing market environment. For more information and resources for journalists, please visit the TD Ameritrade newsroom at www.amtd.com.
1. TD Ameritrade, Inc., member FINRA (www.FINRA.org) /SIPC (www.SIPC.org) /NFA (www.nfa.futures.org), and TD Ameritrade Clearing, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC.
2. Investools, Inc. is an education subsidiary of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation. Investools does not provide financial advice and is not in the business of transacting trades. Investools, Inc. and TD Ameritrade, Inc. are separate but affiliated companies that are not responsible for each other’s services or policies.
3. TD Ameritrade was ranked #1 and received an overall score of 5 stars (tied for first place with one other broker), in the Kiplinger’s Online Broker Ratings, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, 02/2011. Fourteen brokers were rated in the categories: Costs, Web site usability, Investment choices, Customer service, and Research and tools.
4. TD Ameritrade was awarded an overall 4½ out of 5 stars and was named “Best for Options Traders” in Barron’s 2011 Online Broker Survey, 03/2011. TD Ameritrade also received the highest rating, 4½ out of 5 stars, in the “Best for Long-term Investing” category, sharing that rating with only one other broker. TD Ameritrade was evaluated versus 23 other online brokers in eight total categories, including trade experience, trading technology, usability, range of offerings, research amenities, portfolio analysis and reports, customer service and education and costs. Barron’s is a registered trademark of Dow Jones & Company © 2006-2011.