College Baseball Daily throughout the season will be providing our Quick Hits on games throughout the country. Special thanks to William Knox and Mark Rafferty for contributing to this report. As always, follow us on Twitter @CB_Daily for instant reaction and the best up to minute coverage on college baseball in the country. We also have a Facebook page which can be joined by clicking here.
- The best pitching performance of the day was by Anthony Meo of Coastal Carolina who pitched a no-hitter in the Chanticleers 5-0 victory over Radford. He gave up three base runners in the game with one walk and two errors committed by his defense. It was his first career no-hitter and the school’s first since the 2009 season when Cody Wheeler no-hit Hawaii.
- NC State’s Cory Mazzoni is starting to live up to his expectations with another great start this time against Florida State on Wednesday. He pitched seven innings giving up only four hits while walking one batter and striking out nine.Over his last four starts Mazzoni is 2-1 with a 0.91 ERA and has eight-or-more strikeouts in each of his last five games. He was topping out in the upper 90′s and the Florida State hitters struggled mightily against him.
- New Mexico edged TCU in a winner’s bracket matchup at the Mountain West Conference tournament on Thursday by a score of 4-3. The loss isn’t the biggest story as the Horned Frogs LHP Matt Purke was making his second appearance since missing over a month with an arm injury. He ended up going four innings, giving up a run on four hits and two walks as he picked up the no-decision. The biggest concern is that he was sitting at 88 MPH with his fastball after being an absolute monster last season.
- The craziest game of the day took place in Charleston, SC between Western Carolina and Elon. The game went 20 innings with the teams trading runs in the 14th and 19th innings before WCU exploded for the three runs in the 20th inning.
- Disaster for Southland Conference as both Texas State and SE Louisiana lost their opening games at the conference tournament. The teams now will face off on Thursday against each other. Both of them are in need of a win if they are going to get a potential at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament.
Plays of the Day