College Baseball Daily throughout the season will be providing our Quick Hits on games throughout the country. Special thanks to William Knox and Mark Rafferty for contributing to these reports. As always, follow us on Twitter@CB_Daily for instant reaction and the best up to minute coverage on college baseball in the country.
- Oregon State continues to roll through the Pac-10 conference with a 1-0 defeat over Stanford on Friday evening. Sam Gaviglio went eight shutout innings while giving up only four hits. He made a first inning RBI single by Kavin Keyes stand up for the win. The Beavers are now 6-1 in the conference and 25-7 overall as one of the biggest surprises in the country.
- The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets bounced back strongly on Friday by defeating Wake Forest 5-1 behind a complete game one hitter from Mark Pope. The Yellow Jackets were led on offense by Jake Davies who went 2-3 with an RBI.
- Cal-State Fullerton went to LSU earlier this season as they lost all three games of the series with the Tigers. Both teams have gone in different directions since then. The Titans have now won 13 out of their last 14 games while jumping out to a 6-1 record in Big West play after defeating UC-Santa Barbara 3-2 with Nick Ramirez getting the save. The LSU Tigers picked up another SEC loss with a loss to Auburn 8-7. The decision dropped the Bayou Tigers SEC record to 3-10 and 22-13 overall as they have now lost five out of their last six games. They are now seriously in trouble for making the NCAA Tournament as they need to win the next two games of this series to get their second series victory of the year.
- The biggest national series between the #1 Vanderbilt Commodores and #3 ranked South Carolina saw the Gamecocks win game 1 by a score of 3-1. Michael Roth continued to dominate on the mound for the Gamecocks as he went 7.2 innings giving up three hits and a run to run his record to 8-1. He also struck out eight batters while only walking two. Vanderbilt’s Sonny Gray had another mediocre starts (by his standards) as he allowed 11 hits in 7.2 innings striking out seven batters.
- The big showdown in the West Coast Conference is between Gonzaga and Loyola-Marymount. The Bulldogs took the first game on Friday night behind a three run top of the ninth inning rally to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 5-3 lead. The key hit in the inning was a Cameron Edman three run homer over the left-center field fence. He finished the evening 3-4 with a run scored and three RBI. Gonzaga starter Ryan Carpenter was solid giving up three runs in seven innings while Loyola-Marymount starter Jason Wheeler gave up two runs in 7.2 innings.
Photo is courtesy of LSU Media Relations