College Baseball Daily throughout the season will be providing our Quick Hits on games throughout the country. Special thanks to William Knox and Mark Rafferty for contributing to this report. As always, follow us on Twitter @CB_Daily for instant reaction and up to minute coverage on college baseball.
- Stanford jumped out to an 8-0 lead on the Washington State Cougars heading into the bottom of the sixth inning. The Cougars scratched across two runs in the sixth before exploding in the eighth inning for eight runs. The big hit in the inning was a three run homer by Derek Jones over the left field fence to change a one run 8-7 deficit into a 10-8 lead. (Video) Paris Sheway pitched a perfect ninth inning to get the save striking out two out of three batters faced. This was a key victory for the Cougars as they were swept in their Pac-10 opening weekend series against Cal last weekend. Hopefully, the Cougars turn it around to make my preseason prediction of them making Omaha true.
- The most random stat of the night is the fact that Florida State has now defeated Maryland for the 40 straight games. The Noles got another great pitching performance from Sean Gilmartin who went six innings giving up three hits while striking out nine batters to up his record to 6-0. Mike McGee and Jayce Boyd each had two RBI to lead the offense.
- Jake Floethe went eight innings giving up only two hits while striking out six as the Cal-State Fullerton Titans opened up Big West play with a 14-0 victory over UC-Davis. Michael Lorenzen was the offensive star by going 2-3 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Virginia Tech is officially struggling as they lost to Virginia 18-3 but the bright spot for the Hokies is Andrew Rash. He has been dominating since the start of the season as he is hitting .337 with nine homers and 30 RBI. On Friday, he hit a first inning two run homer off of Danny Hultzen. Rash has been dealing with a minor ankle injury the last couple of weeks which held him out last weekend against Boston College.
- Hudson Randall had one of the most dominant pitching performances of the year tossing a complete game shutout allowing only four hits while facing 30 batters as the Gators defeated Tennessee 3-0. The most impressive stat in the game was the fact Randall used on 74 pitches to get the complete game.
- The Troy Trojans continue to roll through the season as they edged Arkansas State 1-0 behind another strong start from Tyler Ray who went 8.2 innings allowing six hits and striking out four. He lowered his ERA for the season down to 1.45. Troy is now 6-1 in the Sun Belt Conference while having an overall record of 20-5.
- In a showdown in Conference USA between Southern Miss and Central Flrodia, Marc Bourgeois hit a three run homer in the top of the ninth to break a 3-3 tie as the Golden Eagles hung on for a wild 6-5 victory on the road.
- The other under the radar team this season has been the Fresno State Bulldogs who are now 19-2 after defeating San Francisco 5-3. Greg Gonzalez upped his record to 6-0 by giving up three runs in 6.1 innings of work.
- The Texas Longhorns defeated the Missouri Tigers 5-4. Missouri built a 4-0 lead off Texas ace Taylor Jungmann before the Longhorns rallied back with five runs to take the lead. We were able to catch up to both Augie Garrido and Taylor Jungmann after the game. You can check out both videos below.