Another Saturday is in the books, as we start to get a good picture from around the nation.. There was a couple of outstanding pitching performance and some great hitting from around the nation. Here are some of the biggest stories from the games on Saturday night including some video highlights from the University of Virginia.
- The best game for the second straight night took place in Baton Rouge between Florida and LSU. The Gators scored a run in the first inning off of Kevin Gausman to grab the early 1-0 lead which stood up the entire game. The win gave the Gators a victory in the SEC opening series. Florida starter Hudson Randall was excellent throughout the game pitching 6.2 innings while scattering eight hits and striking out two batters. Reliever Nick Maronde was dominant in his 1.2 hitless innings of work striking out four hitters out of the five official batters faced.
- I still question how strong the LSU squad is as they haven’t had a chance to head on the road as a team yet this season. We will see how they react next weekend when they visit Georgia for a three game weekend set.
- Coastal Carolina continues to scuffle along this season as Pepperdine completed a three game sweep over the Chanticleers to put them at 13-8 on the year. Number 1 starter Anthony Meo has been a mild disappointment this season as he is only 1-2 with an ERA of 4.20 in 30 innings. He has struggled with his control with 30 strikeouts and 14 talks.
- The Florida State Seminoles and Virginia Cavaliers continued their excellent series in Chartlottesville with the Cavs taking the second gam of the serie by a score of 5-4 on a Jared King homer in the 11th inning. You can check the video highlights including the homer by clicking here.
- Congrats goes out to UCSB pitcher Matt Vedo came one out away from a complete game no-hitter but gave up a hit. The Gauchos picked up a tight 2-1 victory over Nevada in game 2 of the scheduled doubleheader.