FROM CBB NEWS SOURCE
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Hunter Morris • Auburn
Junior • IF • Huntsville, Ala.
• Had the game-winning (walk-off) and series-clinching hit on Sunday vs. Kentucky, a seventh-inning RBI single…Went 8-for-17 with two doubles, two triples, two home runs, seven runs scored and nine RBI for a .615 batting average and a 1.538 slugging percentage.
• He now leads the SEC in slugging percentage (.779) and total bases (134), is second in hits (71), RBI (53) and home runs (13) and is third in doubles (14) and triples (5) while his .413 batting average is fourth…His season home run, runs scored (43), triples and RBI totals are already a career high.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sam Dyson • South Carolina
Junior • RHP • Tampa, Fla.
• Dyson hurled a three-hit complete game shutout and earned a victory in seven innings in the 5-0 win vs. Georgia on Sunday, April 25 in game one of a doubleheader. He is only the third SEC pitcher to record a complete game shutout this year and the second this season to do it in SEC play.
• Dyson finished with 69 strikes out of 96 pitches and allowed just one runner from Georgia to get in scoring position in the seven-inning shutout. All 21 putouts by the Gamecock came from the diamond, as Dyson struck out five batters and recorded 14 ground ball outs.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Alex Yarbrough • Ole Miss
IF • Allen, Texas
• Yarbrough was critical to the Rebels picking up four wins and a series sweep of No. 5 LSU on the week … Came up with a walk-off RBI single in the 11th inning Saturday in game two of a doubleheader to clinch the weekend series for the Rebels … The game-winning hit came with two outs and a full count against LSU ace closer Matty Ott.
• Hit his first career home run in the eighth inning on Sunday to tie the game at six and put the Rebels in position to grab the 7-6 win and sweep LSU for the first time since 2006 … It was also the first time LSU had been swept in a weekend series since the 2008 season … Yarbrough posted two multiple-hit games on the week.