FROM CBB NEWS SOURCE
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Connor Powers • Miss. State
Senior • 1B • Naperville, Ill.
• Powered lead MSU to a sweep of four games against SE Missouri and Michigan State in the BankFirst Baseball Challenge at Dudy Noble Field with a three-home run, 15-RBI weekend…Matched a career-high with a 6-RBI game and belted a walk-off three-run home run vs. SEMO in the opening game…Leads MSU with five game-winning RBI, including two walk-off home runs.
• Registered his second two-home run game of the season and set a career-high with a 7-RBI performance in State’s tournament finale against Michigan State…Climbed into the SEC lead in both home runs (7) and RBI (25).
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Logan Darnell • Kentucky
Junior • LHP • Joelton, Tenn.
• Darnell had the game of his career in a win at San Diego Friday … Making just his third career start, Darnell tossed a complete-game shutout against the Toreros, hurling nine innings and allowing only eight hits and no runs, striking out four … Darnell needed just 90 pitches to blank USD, throwing 70 strikes and tossing first-pitch strikes to 22-of-32 hitters.
• Darnell completely handcuffed USD, a team ranked No. 19 in the Baseball America preseason top-25, facing only five hitters over the minimum of 27 and not allowing an extra-base hit.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Nolan Fontana • Florida
SS • Winter Garden, Fla.
• Went 8-for-14 (.571) in Florida’s four games last week against Top-10 opponents Florida State and Miami (Fla.)…Keyed the Gators to their first regular-season series win over UM since
2007 by going 7-for-11 (.636) with four runs, two stolen bases and a perfect fielding percentage in 11 chances at shortstop.
• Went 3-for-4, scored twice and had the first two stolen bases of his career in Sunday’s 4-2 win -Was 3-for-4 with a run and his first career triple in Saturday’s setback -Collected an RBI when he was hit with the bases loaded in the eighth inning of Friday’s 7-1 win over UM and was 1-for-3 with a run.