FROM SEC RELEASE
P.J. Polk • Tennessee
Junior • OF • Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• Was nearly unstoppable in the batter’s box, hitting at a blistering .750 clip with nine hits in 12 at-bats to help Tennessee record its first season-opening series sweep since 2004…Reached safely in 12 of 16 plate appearances for a .750 on-base percentage.
• Had three hits in each game of UT’s sweep over the Musketeers…Tallied four doubles and five singles over the weekend…Posted a tremendous 1.083 slugging percentage with 13 total bases…Walked three times and did not strike out.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sonny Gray • Vanderbilt
Sophomore • RHP • Smyrna, Tenn.
• Gray threw 8.0 innings (longest outing of any SEC pitcher on the weekend) of three-hit shutout baseball in the Commodores season opening win over Niagara Friday night.
• He did not allow a runner to second base (only one in game) until the eighth inning and struck out eight batters to just one walk. Dating back to last season, the right-hander has not allowed a run in his last 17 and 2/3 innings with 21 strikeouts and just two walks while giving up 11 hits.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Taylor Rogers • Kentucky
LHP • Littleton, Colo.
• Rogers made his collegiate debut in sparkling fashion, tossing 7.2 shutout innings to pick up the win over West Virginia Saturday … Rogers was thrust in to the weekend rotation in his first college outing and dominated the Mountaineers, allowing only six hits and no runs, issuing just one walk and fanning two .
• Rogers got outs from the first 13 hitters he faced, carrying a perfect game into the fourth inning …He threw just 85 pitches, filling up the strike zone throughout the game, tossing first-pitch strikes to 25-of-29 batters faced.