TUCSON, Ariz. — The Louisville Slugger NCAA Division I All-American baseball teams and National Player of The Year were announced today by Collegiate Baseball newspaper.
The 17-man first team, chosen by performances up to regional playoffs and picked by the staff of Collegiate Baseball newspaper, features 13 conference players or pitchers of the year, including:
• RHP Stephen Strasburg, San Diego St. (Pitcher of Year Mountain West Conference).
• RHP Mike Leake, Arizona St. (Pitcher of Year Pac-10 Conference).
• RHP A.J. Morris, Kansas St. (Pitcher of Year Big 12 Conference).
• RHP Louis Coleman, Louisiana St. (Pitcher of Year Southeastern Conference).
• RHP Deck McGuire, Georgia Tech. (Pitcher of Year Atlantic Coast Conference).
• LHP Daniel Bibona, U.C. Irvine (Pitcher of Year Big West Conference).
• C Chris Henderson, George Mason (Co-Player of Year, Defensive Player of Year Colonial).
• 1B Dustin Ackley, North Carolina (Player of Year Atlantic Coast Conference).
• 3B Marc Krauss, Ohio (Player of Year Mid-American Conference).
• 3B Chris Dominguez, Louisville (Player of Year Big East Conference).
• OF Kent Matthes, Alabama (Player of Year Southeastern Conference).
• OF Jason Kipnis, Arizona St. (Player of Year Pac-10 Conference).
• UT Bryce Brentz, Middle Tennessee St. (Player of Year Sun Belt Conference).
The first team features six starting pitchers who posted a combined 72-6 record with an ERA of 2.16. RHP Stephen Strasburg of San Diego St., Collegiate Baseball’s National Player of The Year, leads the nation with 180 strikeouts (15.9 per nine innings). He struck out at least 10 batters in 12 of his 14 starts this season. Utilizing a 102 mph fastball, Strasburg also put together a perfect 13-0 record and 1.24 ERA. Recently he fired a no-hitter against Air Force with 17 strikeouts in a 9-inning complete game.
The first team relief pitcher is Addison Reed of San Diego St. He recorded 19 saves with a microscopic 0.68 ERA.
The first team offense features remarkable power. Eight hitters have belted 20 or more homers led by OF Kent Matthes of Alabama (28) and UT Bryce Brentz of Middle Tennessee St. (28).
This marks the 13th year that Louisville Slugger has sponsored the Division I All-Americans.