The College Baseball Blog made the trip to Chestnut Hill for the second time in two days to see North Carolina take on Boston College in the second game of their series. The game saw BC send their staff ace in J.B. McDonald to the mound to face UNC’s number 2 pitcher Adam Warren. North Carolina’s Mike Fox was unhappy with his team’s effort on Thursday as his Tar Heels lost 3-1 and his team came out of the gate with a ton of energy. The Tar Heels would put together three hits, get two walks, and take advantage of an error in right field to score four runs in the first inning. The key hit in the inning was a Ryan Graepel single to right field which got by BC right fielder John Spatola.
BC would score single runs in the first, second, and third innings but could never get the big hit so they trailed 5-3 until the top of the sixth inning when UNC would explode for five runs on six hits and take advantage of a Boston College error. BC would scratch a run across in the bottom of the sixth and score four in the bottom of the seventh to cut the UNC lead to 10-8 but again left two runners in scoring position.
UNC would eventually put the game out of hand in the top of the eighth inning where they scored four runs with the key hit being a three run homer by Dustin Ackley to put the Tar Heels up 14-8. Each squad would score two runs in the ninth to set up the final score at 16-10.
- Boston College hammered UNC starter Adam Warren as he only lasted 2.1 innings while letting up three runs on eight hits and a walk. BC should have scored more runs off of him but could never get that big hit. If UNC is going to make it to Omaha this season then Warren needs to step up his game.
- Brian Moran looked outstanding in his first two innings of work until Boston College figured him out. Moran has an excellent breaking ball which is his best out pitch.
- Dustin Ackley is a hitting machine…Every time I see him play all he does is hit. He finished the game 4-5 with four RBI.
- I think UNC is going to be hurting as Moran is the only lefty on their pitching staff. How did that happen?
- What was up with Boston College allowing J.B. McDonald in allowing him to give up ten runs (eight earned) in only 5.2 innings of work? BC did not use alot of its bullpen on Thursday so they should have taken McDonald out of the game much earlier.
- I ran into some great North Carolina fans at the game who love to talk college baseball and actually enjoyed Shea Field a little bit.
- The worst news of the day came when I got back to my car and found a parking ticket for 75 dollars. COME ON! 75 bucks??