SEC Player of the Week
Rich Poythress • Georgia
Junior • 1B • Grovetown, Ga.
• Poythress hit .615 (8-for-13) with five home runs and 12 RBI last week, and led Georgia to its second straight SEC sweep and its first series win at Tennessee since 2001.
• In Tuesday’s game against Wright State, hit a two-run home run in the first inning, then had his first career multi-home run game along with two doubles and two walks for a career-high 12 total bases against Tennessee on Friday. He followed that with another two-home run game on Saturday and tied his career high with five RBI. In his first nine plate appearances against the Vols, Poythress was 6-for-6 with
four home runs, two doubles and three walks.
SEC Pitcher of the Week
Austin Ross • LSU
Sophomore • RHP • Shreveport, La.
• Ross delivered a superb performance in Sunday’s win over Ole Miss, limiting the Rebels to one run on two hits in eight innings with one walk and five strikeouts.
• Ross fired 89 pitches in the outing, and he allowed just one Ole Miss runner to advance beyond first base … Ross improved to 4-2 on the season with a 2.48 ERA.
SEC Freshman of the Week
Preston Tucker • Florida
1B • Tampa, Fla.
• Led the Gators with a .500 (9-for-18) batting average in five games last week, four of them wins…Keyed Florida’s first sweep of Alabama since 1994 by going 7-for-14 (.500) with a .786 slugging percentage, six RBI and three extra-base hits versus the Crimson Tide.
• Provided insurance with a bases-loaded, three-run double with two down in the eighth on Friday, when he was 3-for-4…Had both a leadoff triple and game-tying two-run single in the bottom of the ninth on
Saturday as UF rallied from an 8-2 deficit to pull out a remarkable 9-8 win. It was the greatest ninth-inning comeback in school history.